Sakai vs. Philippe Groult
Originally aired 12/15/95
Iron Chef: The Official Book episode# 111
Iron Chef Collection episode# 348
A special challenger, for a special Christmas battle: Philippe Groult, who studied under Joel Robuchon at Jamin from 1981-84. In 1982, at age 28, Groult won the Meilleur Ouvrier de France (MOF, a prize also awarded to Robuchon, and to Claude Le Tohic, currently head chef at Robuchon’s restaurant in Las Vegas). Groult went on to open his own restaurant, L’Amphycles, in Paris. He earned two Michelin stars in two years.
Robuchon himself has a few words for the Chairman: “Although it’s going to be an uphill battle, I trust his talents. I want him to proudly represent the true flavors of French cuisine. With his depth of knowledge, skill, and experience, I’m sure he can win.”
Groult challenges Sakai — a strictly French battle. The unveiled ingredient is “what the French go crazy over on Christmas Eve, with champagne glasses in hand–”
Actress Fumie Hosokawa (After seeing some of her other work, a special BKS edition may be needed. -Keith) and Honorary Chef French Yutaka Ishinabe join Kenji Fukui and Dr. Yukio Hattori on the commentators’ panel. (more…)
Over the years, there were several Valentine’s Day dessert battles held in Kitchen Stadium. Today, we turn your attention to three of them.
- Chocolate and Apple Dessert Battle (305) – Sakai vs. Kondo
- Chocolate and Pear Dessert Battle (407) – Sakai vs. Yanagi
- Banana Dessert Battle (706) – Kobe vs. Tsujiguchi
Enjoy these special episodes of Iron Chef with the one you love.
New Japanese language episodes will be posted no later than Thursday of next week. Look for them.
Some theme ingredients in Kitchen Stadium were things found in kitchens around the world like chicken or carrots, but some of the themes were uniquely Japanese. This weeks Episodes of the Week theme ingredients are items that are somewhat common in Japan but maybe not so much in other countries.
- Natto (Fermented Soybeans) (221) – Iron Chef Rokusaburo Michiba vs. Kuniyuki Ishikawa
- Mochi (Japanese Rice Cake) (302) – Iron Chef Chen Kenichi vs. Toshiyuki Nakagawa
- Umeboshi (Pickled Ume fruits) (332) – Iron Chef Rokusaburo Michiba vs. Kenji Kaji
- Mochi (Japanese Rice Cake) (501) – Iron Chef Sakai vs. Kan Kasahara (This episode did not air on Food Network)
- Natto (Fermented Soybeans) (638) – Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto vs. Tatsutoshi Kumamoto
- Sushi (722) – Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto vs. Keiji Nakazawa – The ingredients for this battle are: Tuna (Maguro), Anago (Eel), Kanpyo (Dried gourd shavings), Egg, Kohada (Japanese shad).
The following episodes may be found by searching our video database: 221, 302, 332, 638, 722
New in the database this week: 221, 302, 332, 722
Shigeru Miyamoto never made an appearance on Iron Chef, but his most famous creation would have been right at home as a judge on the episodes featured in this week’s Episodes of the Week. (For those of you who do not know, Shigeru Miyamoto is the designer who created Mario for Nintendo.) This week’s episodes of the week theme is Mushrooms. I don’t remember any of the judges suddenly growing larger or gaining an extra life after eating any of these mushrooms, but I’ll probably watch the episodes again just to make sure.
- Mushroom (234) – Iron Chef Chen vs. Hideki Osako
- Matsutake Mushroom (239) – Iron Chef Sakai vs. Masamitsu Takahashi
- Matsutake Mushroom (336) – Iron Chef Michiba vs. Minoru Noda – This battle featured one of the few American born challengers to visit Kitchen Stadium.
- Shiitake Mushroom (409) – Iron Chef Chen vs. Takaya Nakazawa
- Mushroom (444) – Iron Chef Chen vs. Daniella Ozik (This episode did not air on Food Network)
- Matsutake Mushroom (537) – Iron Chef Kobe vs. Fujio Imai (This episode did not air on Food Network)
- Maitake Mushroom (642) – Iron Chef Kobe vs. Takatsugu Sasaoka
- Porcini (643) – Iron Chef Morimoto vs. Marco Molinari – This episode is best remembered for the way the challenger makes his pasta.
- Jumbo Mushroom (727) – Iron Chef Kobe vs. Shoji Yamaoka
You can find the following episodes by searching our video database: 234, 239, 336, 409, 642, 643, 727
New in the database this week: 234, 336, 642, 643
As one might expect from a cooking show based in Japan, a country that is a group of islands, fish was an often used theme ingredient on Iron Chef. It was used more than 15 times during the run of the show. Here are some of the highlights.
- Salmon (101) – Iron Chef Ishinabe vs. Go Maruyama – The very first episode of Iron Chef. (This episode did not air on Food Network)
- Sea Bream (204) – Iron Chef Michiba vs. Tanabe (This episode did not air on Food Network)
- Sweetfish (222) – Iron Chef Michiba vs. Hanato
- Sea Bass (228) – Iron Chefs Chen/Michiba vs. Bruant/Furutaka – A tagteam battle in Kitchen Stadium
- Angler (243) – Iron Chef Michiba vs. Kawada – This battle is 15 minutes longer than usual because of the theme ingredient
- Sardine (325) – Iron Chef Chen vs. Noda
- Red Snapper (607) – Iron Chef Morimoto vs. Hirayama – The first battle for Iron Chef Morimoto and the very first dubbed battle that ever aired on Food Network
- Sweetfish (620) – Iron Chef Morimoto vs. Miyanaga
- Carp (630) – Iron Chef Chen vs. Miyazawa
- Saury (640) – Iron Chef Sakai vs. Nagayama
The following Fish themed episodes may be found by searching our Video Database:
New in the Database
this week: 222, 607, 620, 630, 640
We also would like to bring your attention to a new addition to Beyond Kitchen Stadium
. It is a clip from the Daily Show that features footage from the Red Snapper (607), the debut episode of “Naughty Morimoto.”
You all know the foods we’re talking about. The foods that mysteriously end up wrapped in their napkin. The foods that make kids willingly leave the table to do homework rather than eat. The foods that make them whine as soon as they see them on the plate. The theme for this week’s Episodes of the Week post is “foods that most kids hate.”
- Turnip (303) – Iron Chef Hiroyuki Sakai vs. Koji Yamada – The challenger was an apprentice of Iron Chef Ishinabe and is a chef at Ishinabe’s restaurant, Queen Alice. (Be sure to watch the BKS video spotlighting Queen Alice Restaurant.)
- Liver (318) – Iron Chef Chen Kenichi vs. Lee Myong Suk – The challenger is an evangelist for Royal Korean Cuisine. Another female opponent for Chen.
- Broccoli (321) – Iron Chef Rokusaburo Michiba vs. Etsuo Jo – The challenger is known as the “God of Sauces”
- Spinach (414) – Iron Chef Chen Kenichi vs. Katsuaki Mori – The challenger has been recognized as a Cavalier of Cheese Tasters.
- Broccoli (609) – Iron Chef Masahiko Kobe vs. Mario Frittoli – The challenger is a student of one of Italy’s pasta masters.
You can find the following episodes by searching our video database: 303, 318, 321, 414, 609
New in the database this week: 303, 318, 609