Today, we bring to you the second half of the 1997 Iron Chef World Cup. (Part 1 is here.)
Alain Passard vs. Koumei Nakamura in the final of the 1997 Iron Chef World Cup.
It starts with Michiba going on a visit with Nakamura. Michiba says, “Iron Chef Nakamura has lost his way.” It even sounded like he said something about his dishes not tasting good. Was he really knocking Nakamura that much? They visit a farmer who has been farming eggplants for 30 years. They cut a round eggplant off the stalk and take a bite from it while still out in the field.
Nakamura looks on as Michiba gives him a demonstration, concluding with a lesson about finding good flavors from different ingredient combinations. (Although it almost looked like Nakamura was just adding things for the sake of adding them.) Perhaps Michiba agrees because he tells him there is too much flavor. (or too many flavors?)
The last thing we see before the battle is the presentation of a hand-made knife to Nakamura. His name is carved into it by the knife maker himself. We know that Michiba personally chose Nakamura to be his replacement, but we really see the way he mentors him in this episode.
No new episodes this week, but we do have four new additions to Beyond Kitchen Stadium.
- IC on Scrubs – JD and Turk know what to watch on TV
- Morimoto Interview – Iron Chef Morimoto as part of Google’s Authors @ Google series.
- Kenji Fukui on Mecha Ike – Announcer Kenji Fukui is part of a segment with Fuji TV announcer/anchor Mizuki Sano on the popular (and one of my all-time favorites) Japanese TV show Mecha Mecha Iketeru. (As usual, I need some help with the question Okamura asked Sano. I think it said something about not being able to announce a variety show and retirement, but I could never get a good translation of it.)
- Nakamura Policeman – Iron Chef Koumei Nakamura is the honorary Police Chief for a day.
New in the Video Database this week: IC on Scrubs, Morimoto Interview, Fukui on Mecha Ike, Nakamura Policeman
Potatoes!! I’m going to go right into it and not mess around with you guys.
- Episode 341 – Lin Kunbi vs Iron Chef Michiba -> I’m not giving any spoiler on this episode so watch it.
- Episode 533 – Yoshinori Kojima vs Iron Chef Japanese Nakamura -> this episode did not air on Food Network
- Episode 724 – Michael Noble vs Iron Chef Japanase Morimoto -> Another exclusive brought to you by your friendly admin Tuthead (Don’t forget to thank him) since it’s nowhere to be found on the internet. This episode was actually requested by someone close to Michael Noble.
Episodes 341 and 724 can be found by searching our video database.
New this week to the database: 724 .
Part 2 coming next week…
We also have a little announcement this week. The fine folks over at the Kitchen Stadium message boards have graciously agreed to give us a place for people to post questions and episode reviews. If you have a problem that isn’t addressed in the FAQ, let us know. If you have an episode request, let us know. If you want to review an episode, write it up and post it over there. Maybe we’ll even put it on the main page. (And don’t worry. We will continue to respond to the comments and admin e-mail addresses.)
With apologies to Anita Ward for using her song title, we present this week’s theme: Bell Pepper. Bell Pepper was the theme ingredient on four different occasions in Kitchen Stadium.
- The first time was back in the second season. Episode 235 – Iron Chef Rokusaburo Michba vs. Artur Rutter
- It was next used two years later for Nakamura’s second battle as an Iron Chef. Episode 413 – Iron Chef Komei Nakamura vs. Lin Kumbi
- We would not see Bell Pepper as the theme ingredient again until the final season of Iron Chef, and then we saw it twice. The first time was in early 1999. Episode 703 – Iron Chef Masahiko Kobe vs.Constantino Gemmoli
- The fourth and final time we saw Bell Pepper as the theme was in the second battle of the King of Iron Chefs Tournament. Episode 735 – Iron Chef Hiroyuki Sakai vs. Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto.
New this week in the video database: Bell Pepper (703), Bell Pepper (735)
Of course, all of these episodes may be found by searching our video database.