The challenger is an Italian chef who didn’t start cooking seriously until the age of 28. He prefers traditional Italian food, the kind that ordinary Italians grew up eating. The theme is 5 types of Kinoko (mushroom).
Iron Chef Yomigaeru S1E3 – Kinoko – Iron Chef French vs. Mitsuaki Okamura – 11/9/12
Make sure you comment and send links with any translations or observations you have while watching this episode. I’ll be away from the site most of this weekend, but I will get the comments posted as soon as I’m able.
You can see the dishes HERE, but be careful not to scroll down too far if you don’t want to see the results yet.
Shigeru Miyamoto never made an appearance on Iron Chef, but his most famous creation would have been right at home as a judge on the episodes featured in this week’s Episodes of the Week. (For those of you who do not know, Shigeru Miyamoto is the designer who created Mario for Nintendo.) This week’s episodes of the week theme is Mushrooms. I don’t remember any of the judges suddenly growing larger or gaining an extra life after eating any of these mushrooms, but I’ll probably watch the episodes again just to make sure.
- Mushroom (234) – Iron Chef Chen vs. Hideki Osako
- Matsutake Mushroom (239) – Iron Chef Sakai vs. Masamitsu Takahashi
- Matsutake Mushroom (336) – Iron Chef Michiba vs. Minoru Noda – This battle featured one of the few American born challengers to visit Kitchen Stadium.
- Shiitake Mushroom (409) – Iron Chef Chen vs. Takaya Nakazawa
- Mushroom (444) – Iron Chef Chen vs. Daniella Ozik (This episode did not air on Food Network)
- Matsutake Mushroom (537) – Iron Chef Kobe vs. Fujio Imai (This episode did not air on Food Network)
- Maitake Mushroom (642) – Iron Chef Kobe vs. Takatsugu Sasaoka
- Porcini (643) – Iron Chef Morimoto vs. Marco Molinari – This episode is best remembered for the way the challenger makes his pasta.
- Jumbo Mushroom (727) – Iron Chef Kobe vs. Shoji Yamaoka
You can find the following episodes by searching our video database: 234, 239, 336, 409, 642, 643, 727
New in the database this week: 234, 336, 642, 643
Kitchen Stadium was the stage to show the skills of the larger-than-life culinary masters, the Iron Chefs. Surely these giants of cooking need grand ingredients with which to work. That must have been Chairman Kaga’s thoughts when he chose these themes. This week we bring you a trio of larger than usual theme ingredients.
- Giant Eel Battle (628) – Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto vs. Hirokazu Handa
- Giant Lobster (721) – Iron Chef Masahiko Kobe vs. Makoto Osada
- Jumbo Mushroom (727) – Iron Chef Masahiko Kobe vs. Shoji Yamaoka
New this week in the video database: Giant Lobster (721), Jumbo Mushroom (727)
The following episodes may be found by searching our video database: 628, 721, 727
Look for Episodes of the Week every Tuesday as we continue to add episodes to the video database. (And if you have an idea for an Episode of the Week theme, please let us know. You can check out the full episode list to see all of the theme ingredients.)