While Mel Brooks wasn’t exactly talking about Iron Chef when he said that famous line in “History of the World: Part 1,” it is fitting for this week’s Episodes of the Week. As the time to close Kitchen Stadium came near, Chairman Kaga decided he wanted a final tournament to crown the King of the Iron Chefs.
- Semi-Final 1 – Iron Chef Chen vs. Iron Chef Kobe – Tokyo X Pork
- Semi-Final 2 – Iron Chef Morimoto vs. Iron Chef Sakai – Bell Pepper
- Final – Iron Chef Chen vs. Iron Chef Sakai – Lobster (Homard) — Two of the longest tenured Iron Chefs (and really good friends) meet in the King of Iron Chefs Final.
- Final Kitchen Stadium Battle – The Champion Iron Chef (no spoilers here) vs. Alain Passard – Longgang Chicken — This was the last episode of the original production run of the show. Alain Passard competed in the 1997 World Cup vs. Nakamura. They tied in a Foie Gras battle. (That episode did not air on Food Network.)
You may find all of these episodes for download or viewing in our files database in the Iron Chef Specials category.
- We also have an additional bonus BKS video for this week. We have a clip from the Japanese language broadcast of the announcement of the theme ingredient from Semi-Final #1 (Tokyo X) and Kobe’s mad dash to the podium. Enjoy.
Kitchen Stadium was the stage to show the skills of the larger-than-life culinary masters, the Iron Chefs. Surely these giants of cooking need grand ingredients with which to work. That must have been Chairman Kaga’s thoughts when he chose these themes. This week we bring you a trio of larger than usual theme ingredients.
- Giant Eel Battle (628) – Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto vs. Hirokazu Handa
- Giant Lobster (721) – Iron Chef Masahiko Kobe vs. Makoto Osada
- Jumbo Mushroom (727) – Iron Chef Masahiko Kobe vs. Shoji Yamaoka
New this week in the video database: Giant Lobster (721), Jumbo Mushroom (727)
The following episodes may be found by searching our video database: 628, 721, 727
Look for Episodes of the Week every Tuesday as we continue to add episodes to the video database. (And if you have an idea for an Episode of the Week theme, please let us know. You can check out the full episode list to see all of the theme ingredients.)