Takeshi Kaga is best known in most parts of the world as The Chairman of the Gourmet Academy and the man behind Kitchen Stadium. I recently saw a blog post that inspired me to search for clips from some of Kaga’s many other roles.
I hope you enjoy seeing Chairman Kaga outside of his duties in Kitchen Stadium. Have you seen an Iron Chef cast member in another show or commercial? Let me know, and I’ll do my best to track it down and post it here.
No new episodes this week, but we do have four new additions to Beyond Kitchen Stadium.
- IC on Scrubs – JD and Turk know what to watch on TV
- Morimoto Interview – Iron Chef Morimoto as part of Google’s Authors @ Google series.
- Kenji Fukui on Mecha Ike – Announcer Kenji Fukui is part of a segment with Fuji TV announcer/anchor Mizuki Sano on the popular (and one of my all-time favorites) Japanese TV show Mecha Mecha Iketeru. (As usual, I need some help with the question Okamura asked Sano. I think it said something about not being able to announce a variety show and retirement, but I could never get a good translation of it.)
- Nakamura Policeman – Iron Chef Koumei Nakamura is the honorary Police Chief for a day.
New in the Video Database this week: IC on Scrubs, Morimoto Interview, Fukui on Mecha Ike, Nakamura Policeman
My Mayuko Takata love continues with yet another addition to Beyond Kitchen Stadium featuring my favorite Iron Chef judge of all time. This video is an episode of Mago Mago Arashi that originally aired in Japan on 6/2/2007.
This episode features two members of the Japanese singing group Arashi trying to take vegetables and cook them in such a way that a pair of picky eater children will eat them. Their guest is Mayuko Takata. The parents of the children tell the guys that their kids don’t like carrots, peppers, or eggplant. Their challenge is to make dishes with those ingredients that the kids will eat and enjoy. Takata offers some cooking tips to the boys, but her biggest contribution is showing off her mothering skills and getting the crying little girl to take a nap. (And we get to see a side of Takata we never saw on Iron Chef when the boys keep trying to use the blender when the girls are sleeping. I wouldn’t mess with her if I were there.)
This video is in Japanese with no subtitles, but it is still a fun watch.
This video, along with many others, may be found in our Beyond Kitchen Stadium section.
As one might expect from a cooking show based in Japan, a country that is a group of islands, fish was an often used theme ingredient on Iron Chef. It was used more than 15 times during the run of the show. Here are some of the highlights.
- Salmon (101) – Iron Chef Ishinabe vs. Go Maruyama – The very first episode of Iron Chef. (This episode did not air on Food Network)
- Sea Bream (204) – Iron Chef Michiba vs. Tanabe (This episode did not air on Food Network)
- Sweetfish (222) – Iron Chef Michiba vs. Hanato
- Sea Bass (228) – Iron Chefs Chen/Michiba vs. Bruant/Furutaka – A tagteam battle in Kitchen Stadium
- Angler (243) – Iron Chef Michiba vs. Kawada – This battle is 15 minutes longer than usual because of the theme ingredient
- Sardine (325) – Iron Chef Chen vs. Noda
- Red Snapper (607) – Iron Chef Morimoto vs. Hirayama – The first battle for Iron Chef Morimoto and the very first dubbed battle that ever aired on Food Network
- Sweetfish (620) – Iron Chef Morimoto vs. Miyanaga
- Carp (630) – Iron Chef Chen vs. Miyazawa
- Saury (640) – Iron Chef Sakai vs. Nagayama
The following Fish themed episodes may be found by searching our Video Database:
New in the Database
this week: 222, 607, 620, 630, 640
We also would like to bring your attention to a new addition to Beyond Kitchen Stadium
. It is a clip from the Daily Show that features footage from the Red Snapper (607), the debut episode of “Naughty Morimoto.”
This journey Beyond Kitchen Stadium takes us to China. Enjoy the opening sequence from the Beijing Special that originally aired in 1996. This special never aired on Food Network.
This video, like all of the others in Beyond Kitchen Stadium, is available for download or viewing in our files section.